2.3 Health insurance


Most important: Do I need health insurance cover as a TH student?

The answer ist yes! Sufficient health insurance cover is a prerequisite for university enrolment and application of a residence permit (for Non-EU-students).



What must be covered by the policy?

Sufficient health insurance coverage must include the following services:

  • medical and dental treatment,
  • supply of pharmaceuticals, wound dressings, therapeutic and aid products,
  • hospital treatment,
  • medical services for rehabilitation,
  • services during pregnancy and birth.

For more information on how to make use of these services, please see the section on medical care.

Valid health insurance from other countries[]


Does the health insurance from my current country of residence also apply in Germany?

Public health insurance plans from the following countries are also valid in Germany: Member states of the European Union, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Morocco, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia, Tunisia and Turkey.

Germany has signed social security agreements with these countries. With your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), any medical treatment you require in Germany is covered. Private domestic and foreign health insurance policies from other countries may also be recognised in Germany.

You should inquire about the details with your health insurance provider before leaving home. If your (public or private) health insurance policy from your home country is recognised, then you will need confirmation that you are exempted from public health insurance coverage when you enroll.

Public vs. private health insurance[]


What is the difference between public and private health insurance?

In Germany, you can choose between statutory and private health insurance providers.

If you are younger than 30, you can insure yourself with a statutory German health insurance provider for approximately 115 € per month. Thus, you will have the same conditions as German students, i.e. treatment costs will be handled directly by the doctor and the health insurance company after you present the chip card you have received.

Anyone who has health insurance from a statutory health insurer has sufficient health insurance coverage in any case. Be aware that not all costs are covered up to 100% by the Public State Insurance companies. E.g. you have to pay a share of 10€ per day if you need to stay in a hospital.

All those above 30 years of age cannot be insured through statutory insurance companies. They must therefore join a private health insurance. Please be prepared that this means that the treatment and subsequent costs must initially be paid by the patient first and the relevant receipt presented to the health insurance provider for reimbursement.

Private health insurance companies offer different contracts. Since the cheapest contract (approx. 50 Euros) does not cover all medical services, only basic service and emergency coverage, its advisable to subscribe to an “all-inclusive contract” with the very best service (costs at least 150 €/month).

Insurance start[]


When does my health insurance policy start?

Please note that insurance policies are only valid from the beginning of the semester (1st of September or 1st of March). Therefore, you must take care of your insurance coverage before the semester begins, e.g. via travel health insurance.

After you have registered, your insurance provider will send you the insurance card by regular mail. As it takes a few days for the card to be issued, please ask for confirmation of health insurance, as you will need proof of health insurance to enrol at the university and to apply for your residence permit.

Needed documents[]


What documents do I need to register for health insurance?

For your registration at the health insurance company you need:

  • a valid passport,
  • your bank account details,
  • your German address,
  • a passport-size photo, and
  • the membership application form (provided by the insurance company at the time of registration)

Further reading[]